|Title:||Senior Systems Engineer|
|Job Type:||Full-time/exempt (salaried)|
RDV Corporation Technology Services seeks a Senior Systems Engineer to join its innovative and nimble team. Think large company tech in a small collaborative environment. Apply your expertise in several technologies while gaining experience in the latest capabilities and advancements. Yes, this team supports core foundational systems and procedures too. As part of the team, this position is responsible for the design, implementation, operations, and maintenance of the technology infrastructure systems for RDV Corporation and the DeVos Family. Also acts as a back-up and provides support to the Systems Administrator. Team workspace downtown Grand Rapids with paid parking. Full-time salaried exempt position reporting to the Assistant Director of Technology Services.
Culture of Care
As an employee of RDV Corporation, you will experience a workplace that is founded on the respect and well-being of others – our employees, their families, and the families that we serve. Our goal is to simplify the life of the family we serve and facilitate each household working effectively together to make a positive impact in all of their communities, near and far. We are a team of highly competent professionals who are gracious, trustworthy, and the best at what we do.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understand and communicate complex technical ideas and structures to people with widely varying skills and interests. Work with RDV Corporation executives, staff members, and co-workers in a pleasant, professional and confidential manner.
- Participate in strategic planning for the infrastructure needs of RDV Corporation.
- Appropriately address and respond to inquiries and problems in a timely manner.
- Maintain the highest level of customer service and professionalism at all times.
- Remain current with technology trends and industry developments.
- Track time spent on support for various entities.
- Troubleshoot hardware or Operating System failures; make repairs if required and contact vendor/service provider for support and/or repair when necessary.
- Monitor system performance, capacity, and availability; respond to critical issues on a 24\7 basis.
- Install, configure, and maintain virtual servers.
- Configure and maintain SANs and related technologies.
- Procure, install, configure and maintain server/infrastructure hardware, including servers, storage, and FibreChannel switching hardware.
- Write scripts to perform common, repetitive, or scheduled tasks.
- Maintain procedures and documentation related to the implementation and support of servers.
- Follow change management procedures.
- Meet with other members of the Technology Services group and/or business units to develop and analyze business requirements when implementing new or modified application and/or Operating System software. The analysis includes processing capabilities needed based on projected workloads, server facility requirements (power, air cooling, room layout), and impact to backup, network, and disaster recovery systems and processes.
- Monitor server room environment; recommend and procure equipment to control temperature, dust, humidity, and other environmental factors in the room, including battery back-up and generator systems.
- Monitor life cycle of server room hardware and recommend upgrades as appropriate.
- Support Microsoft Exchange server environment:
- Monitor and maintain health of Exchange servers;
- Troubleshoot issues with e-mail delivery and e-mail routing;
- Troubleshoot issues with ActiveSync synchronization to mobile devices;
- Maintain and troubleshoot Barracuda e-mail anti-spam and anti-virus service;
- Support Add2Exchange synchronization software;
- Assist Systems Administrators with troubleshooting end-user Outlook\Exchange issues.
- Schedule, plan and execute routine system patches and updates for servers and workstations on a regular cycle during non-business hours.
- Monitor critical patches released by Operating System vendors and evaluate risk\impact of patching the servers outside of the normal patching cycle.
- Maintain procedures related to the implementation and support of system software.
- Ensure virus protection and related procedures are deployed and current for all servers and workstations.
- Execute legal holds.
Technical Support/End User Support
- Perform user add, change and delete administration in Active Directory and Exchange environments:
- Assist with user lockouts and password resets;
- Configure new user accounts, including Exchange mailbox and security groups;
- Handle user off-boarding, including archiving\deleting old accounts;
- Track server and client access license usage to ensure software licensing compliance.
- Appropriately address user inquiries and problems in a timely manner.
- Serve as back-up to Systems Administrators for end-user desktop and mobile support.
- Work with Network Engineers, Systems Engineers, and Systems Administrators to troubleshoot system performance issues.
Back-up and Disaster Recovery
- Configure and monitor back-up jobs.
- Maintain back-up documentation.
- Facilitate restoration of data from backup media when needed.
- Participate in the implementation and testing of the disaster recovery plan.
Elements of Success
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant experience required. An educational emphasis in information technology or additional training in network or computing technologies required.
- 7+ years of experience in enterprise server management.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to understand and explain computer systems, including hardware, software, and related applications with other senior level technically savvy people as well as the general population daily user.
- Troubleshooting skills, including maintenance and operations. Must be able to physically install, exchange, and maintain equipment in several environments that require climbing steps, stairs, and ladders, stooping & bending, crouching, and lifting up to 50 pounds (occasionally) and 30 pounds (regularly) to countertop level.
- Must work well in a highly collaborative team environment, including open office space.
- While much of the work is thoughtfully planned and scheduled, this position requires the team member to at times be on call 24/7 for emergencies. Emergencies can mostly be resolved via remote work; on occasion will be required to travel to offices for resolution. Non-routine hours over 8 per day, 40 per week, and 5 days per week. Hours and days will vary from week to week with some work being performed during non-business hours (outside 8am-5pm M-F).
- Facilitation skills, negotiation skills and the ability to thoroughly document.
- Experience with the majority of the following technologies required:
- Server virtualization, preferably using VMware ESXi
- Microsoft Exchange design and administration
- Microsoft Windows Server
- Server backup administration
- Enterprise SAN administration and SAN communication technologies, including FibreChannel, FibreChannel over Ethernet (FCoE), and iSCSI
- Disaster Recovery technologies
- Active Directory Administration
- Server Patching processes and technologies
- DNS administration
- Microsoft Outlook
- In addition, experience with the following technologies is helpful:
- Cisco UCS infrastructure
- IBM BigFix
- Microsoft Threat Management Gateway (TMG)
- VDI Technologies (VMware Horizon)
- Barracuda E-mail Security Service
- Citrix XenApp, Secure Gateway, Web Interface and Receiver technologies
- Global Relay
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Dell ChangeAuditor
- RED Identity Management
- Network infrastructure
- Network load balancer technologies
- F5 LTM, APM
- Linux Server